An Overview of the Benefits Available Under the Federal Workers’ Compensation System
The US Federal Worker’s Compensation System (FWCS) is the largest self-insured compensation system in the world. Administered by the Office of Workers’ Compensation Program, it covers more than 2.7 million federal workers.
The federal worker compensation system is a type of social insurance that provides coverage to injured workers and survivors of deceased workers. If you have been injured on the job need workers’ compensation benefits lawyer in Los Angeles, you’re in the right place! Here are some of the benefits you may be eligible for:
- Permanent Disability Benefits: Every state in the US is required to pay compensation to federal workers who suffer a permanent impairment due to a work-related injury. In most states, there are two types of permanent disability benefits:
- permanent total disability benefits and
- permanent partial disability benefits
The permanent total disability benefit is offered to workers who cannot perform work due to an injury that occurred at the workplace. The loss of the ability to walk, talk, and see are examples of permanent total disability. Permanent total disability benefits are sometimes also called lifetime pension.
On the other hand, permanent partial disability benefits are offered to workers in situations when the permanent injury does not affect the ability to work. The partial disability benefits are less as compared to total disability benefits.
- Vocational Benefits: Another benefit that is available under the FCWS includes vocational benefits. The state is required to pay for vocational training of the employee. This training is provided in order to prepare an individual who has suffered a workplace injury to return to the job.
- Medical Benefits: Medical treatment & benefits are also available for federal workers under the FCWS. Injured persons will be compensated for all medical expenses incurred in treating the injury. Medical costs that are covered under the system include physical therapy costs, doctor visits, medication, and surgery. Alternative treatments such as acupuncture and yoga therapy are not covered under the system. Employee benefits vary from company to company so it is important to set out what they are and have the answer to the question – “what are employee benefits?” when asked.
- Lost Wages: Lastly, the injured person will receive compensation for lost wages. This will apply if the injured person cannot work due to the injury. The worker will be provided compensation for all work days missed due to the injury. They are usually a percentage of the wages at the time of injury.
Applying for worker compensation benefits can be complicated and confusing. For professional advice regarding available benefits under the FCWS, you should contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. This will ensure that you receive full benefits that you are entitled to in the event of a workplace injury and help prevent any delay in your application. Contact us today to discuss your case with a qualified attorney.